Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Biltong results, conclusion and discussion.

Hello bloggers,

Welcome back to my blog. In this blog post, I will tell you what was our next steps to our biltong.

So we tasted our biltong and it wasn't expected, it was disgusting, it tasted like raw shrimp from the ocean. Most of my classmate hated it. And after we took little bites we just threw it in the bin because of how it tasted.

And then we got in to put our results in by saying how it feel, taste, see, smell and hear. Then we had to write if what happened in each stage from raw meat. After that, we got into our conclusion we really had to research up how did the salt shrunk the meat. It was really hard to search up because some of the word I didn't understand. So basically we had to write in-depth of how our results mean. And we had to write down if our hypothesis was correct from our guess. (Hypothesis is having a guess because we are practising because scientists have a guess of what something will do to something. Last, of all we I did my discussion. There was a lot of question to do in a discussion. The questions in the discussion were about what happened to the meat.

Here was my answer to the questions:

What were the senses? 


  • I see: The biltong looks like burnt meat with clear little bits of liquid on them and looks like it shrunk. 
  • Smell: For me it doesn’t smell anything. 
  • Hear: When I take a piece of it, it makes a sound of crispiness and satisfaction.  
  • Taste: When I taste the meat it tasted like a raw shrimp from the ocean. 
  • Feels: Very raft surfaces and very strong and hard meat.

Explaining what happened in each stage?

  • We waited for the biltong to get dry for 3 days and it got harder, drier and thinner. Because when we saw the raw meat it was thick, slimy and soft. 

What did your result mean?

  •  My results mean: The salt shrinks the meat because of how it gets moisture out of the meat and the bacteria. And then the salt will swallow up back into the meat through the osmosis which means only liquid can go through but not hard stuff/things. And the salt dries out the meat, the salt will get the juice out of the meat and make it dry and tough.

What was my hypothesis correct?

  • My Hypothesis wasn’t correct because the salt and sugar shrunk the meat. And dried the meat and made it tough.  

Unexpected results?

  • The results I got were unexpected because of how the meat tasted like grass/disgusting and I was not happy about it. And I was shocked because of how the meat shrunk. 

What caused the meat?

  • The salt and sugar made the meat shrunk and dry/hard. 

How would you fix the problems?

  • We needed to add more ingredients to make it tastier. Like: Paprika, black pepper and liquid smoke, to give it more flavourful.

Question from the experiment.

  • I was thinking about what the meat would taste like because I haven’t tasted beef jerky before. 

Another experiment we could try?

  • Maybe we could do the same task but a different experiment. Like a volcano erupting. 

Hope you guys enjoy my blog post make sure to leave a comment to share my next steps.

Question of the day: What would your reaction be if you ate biltong that tasted a raw shrimp from the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

T​ o support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared. 2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say​
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question